Yarkhill Parish and its History
Yarkhill is about 9 miles from both Hereford and Ledbury. It is a much dispersed parish, with no definable nucleus, of approximately 145 homes spread over some 8 square miles, comprising about 300 people. It borders the villages of Ashperton, Stoke Edith, Stretton Grandison, Tarrington and Weston Beggard. Yarkhill lies in the valley of the River Frome; in 811 the name of this settlement was Geardcylle meaning enclosure with a kiln. In 1066 it was held by a Knight of King Harold called Arkell and the present name of Yarkhill may have derived from that or from the Saxon word Yarcle meaning slope of the hill. The churches of Tarrington and Stoke Edith can been seen on the other side of the valley. Yarkhill was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1087 and has been a farming community around the River Frome since that time. Yarkhill once had a school but that has now been converted into a village hall.
The disused Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal runs through the parish and a section at Monkhide has been restored, part of this has the famous skew bridge that crosses the canal at an unusual angle.
The church sits close to the remains of a medieval, fortified manor house; when the river Frome is in flood the moat of this former house is visible.
The Church is the oldest intact building in the village. Close to the river but high enough to be safe from flooding, it dates from circa 1200 with many extensions, alterations and repairs. St John the Baptist Church is a grade two-listed building. The church is typical in design with a nave, chancel, vestry and western tower and seats about 120 people at full capacity. In the churchyard there is an ancient and very large yew tree and a war memorial.
Sadly at present the The Newtown Inn is closed but a small services station operates at the junction of the A417 and A4103, providing shopping facilities toilets, refreshments and fuel.
Click on the image/s to enlarge